Faith in Older People organised a series of seminars to explore these issues which encompassed:
Spirituality and Mental Health
– Professor John Swinton
- Mental health is not the absence of anything; it is the presence of God
- Mental health is not an ideal, a concept or a goal, it is a relationship
- Mental health is a theological concept
- The presence of God is often revealed through human relationships
Finding Jesus in the Storm – The spiritual lives of Christians with mental health challenges
John Swinton (2020) Wm B Eerdmans Publising
Mental health in the final chapters of life – offering hope
– Rev Canon Dr Marion Chatterley
- Safe space
- Honest conversations
- Exploration of ideas – whatever they are
Understanding Mental health problems – when is mental health spiritual health in older people
– Professor Austyn Snowden
- Overlap between mental and spiritual health.
- Formal classification of depression and the anxiety disorders
- Classification of Spiritual Disorders?
- Meeting spiritual need in Primary Care: Measurement? Persuasion?
- An example of a study designed to help people in spiritual distress in primary care
- Scottish Patient Reported Outcome Measure (PROM),
A fourth seminar was held which was a discussion between different faiths and their perspectives on mental health challenges.