LISTENING AND CARING IN CONFIDENCE – A SERVICE FOR CARE HOME AND CARE AT HOME STAFF
- FiOP is delighted to offer this free on-line listening and caring service.
- The listeners offer a maximum of three sessions.
- If you wish to continue with your listener, you will need to make a personal arrangement with them thereafter.
- The service offers listening – it is not a counselling or advice service.
- All appointments are made on-line and you will receive confirmation of your appointment, and there will be reminders of your appointment time.
- Your time is valuable as is that of our listeners. We respectfully ask you to let us know 24 hours (1 day) in advance if you are not able to attend an appointment so that you can reschedule it or cancel it. This means that someone else can use that time and our listeners are not left in limbo. The service is free, but the time is valuable.
- You can book an appointment up to 24 hours in advance but no more than one month in advance.
- The appointment will take place on-line using Zoom which is configured for confidentiality.
- You will be assigned to a listener in the first instance and if you make another appointment you will go back to them unless requested to the contrary.
- The service is confidential. There is no monitoring or reporting. FiOP will only take note of the number of people using the service.
- If the person being listened to shows clear signs of distress beyond the capacity of this listening service suggestions could be discussed as to other more appropriate services.
- Your listener might take brief notes but will make you aware of this but no formal record will be kept or the content of the conversation shared.
This is a new service, so the appointment hours are limited. However, suggestions about different hours will be considered so that we can develop the service responsively.
CODE OF PRACTICE
We respect the uniqueness, individuality, and value of each person. We affirm their right to privacy and confidentiality in what they share with us and their right and responsibility to choose their own path and direction.
Diversity and Difference
We recognise and rejoice in diversity and difference.
Listening and Responding with Empathy
We affirm the centrality of listening and responding with empathy to the deepest needs and issues presented to us.
We work in the best interests of enabling people to take charge of their own experience and their capacity to change and grow.
Values and principles in practice
- Our listeners have completed recognised training in listening and are experienced.
- The listeners work in a properly supervised manner and are committed to on-going professional development.
- Listeners understand and work within the boundaries which are relevant to providing a listening service.
- Listeners will be careful not to exploit, abuse or harm people in any way.
- Listeners hold themselves personally accountable to those they support for standards of practice.
- Listeners support inclusive language and practices in their work.
- Listeners treat all information given by those to whom they listen as confidential, also holding this important in supervision. However, if there is potential for series harm to the client or another person this may require disclosure.