I really love this title but it also provides food for thought as it challenges us to think about and take action in relation to the people, activities and ideas which contribute to our happiness. Happiness takes a little effort.
An organisation called ‘Outside the Box’ worked with groups of older people to discuss their mental health and well-being as part of a project called Wisdom in Practice. The discussions came up with a range of really positive ideas taking into account that no one approach for all of us. The essence of their ideas was to include:
- Learn new things
- Keep doing the things you have always enjoy
- Let music be a food in life
- Be happy with who you are
- Be confident in the contribution you make
- Keep in touch with friends and family
- Don’t be afraid to talk about how you feel
- Enjoy the fresh air
- Care for others
I am sure many other ideas can be added to the list and we all need to work on our ‘habits of happiness’ to sustain our spirits.